I got the best gift ever for my birthday. I’m now the proud owner of an ice cream maker (thanks M +L!). Seriously, I might just have the best friends. Somehow, someway, they knew exactly what I wanted without me even knowing that that’s what I’d been wanting. Life is/was really great in that moment. To celebrate the newest addition to my kitchen, I whipped up a batch of ice cream, which ended up being this recipe you’re reading right here by yours truly. As I was eating it, I thought to myself, “Oh man, I could do this every week.” By this, I meant making a batch of ice cream from scratch, eating it, and maybe sharing it with my friends in real life. For now, everyone might just have to enjoy via photos.
So here it is everyone, the first edition of my weekly update heretofore known as “Sunday Scoops.” Get the recipe, after the jump.
Lavender Black Tea Ice Cream
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla flavor
1/3 cup lavender black tea
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. On low-medium heat, combine milk and cream in a saucepan with the vanilla and warm.
2. Simmer tea in the milk and cream mixture for about 5-8 minutes. I just dumped the tea in, but for easier clean-up you could also wrap the tea in cheesecloth and steep.
3. Remove from heat and refrigerate overnight.
4. Before placing in the ice cream maker, stir in sugar to cool mixture until completely dissolved.
5. Per your ice cream manufacturer’s instructions, stir in milk/cream mixture until you have a somewhat fluffy consistency. Since this is an egg-free ice cream, the texture will be a little less airy, but not icy at all.